- This event has passed.
Events at Sierra 2 Center for Sacramento Open Studio Tour 2018
September 8 @ 10:00 am - September 9 @ 5:00 pm
Sierra 2 Center is proud to participate as an event sponsor in Sac Open Studios organized by Verge Center for the Arts. This 13th annual art event spans 2 weekends in September showcasing over 150 emerging and established artists in their studios across Sacramento County and, new this year, West Sacramento! We are bringing together artists who are unable to open their studios to performs arts demos, show their work and talk about their process. We will also offer hands-on arts experiences all day long!
Ice Dye on the Lawn
What’s simpler and easier than tie-dye? Ice dye! Enjoy a hands-on ice dye demo at 11 am and 2 pm both days. Purchase a shirt to dye yourself with guided artist instruction. You’ll need to come back after your ice has melted, pick up your shirt (safely wrapped in a plastic bag), and grab some instructions on how to easily rinse and wash at home.
Explorations in Cyanotype (Sun Printing)
One of the oldest forms of photography, cyanotype makes pictures using the power of the sun! Give it a try on our front lawn, demos ongoing all day.
Arts and Crafts Show and Raffle
Explore arts and crafts from some of our partner artists in the air-conditioned Garden Room, grab a snack and a libation, learn more about our classes at the Learnery, performances in the Sierra 2 Center Theater, and enter to win a gift basket of hand-crafted goodies!
Participating Artists & Demos
- Catch up with Cate the Fun-maker at the Sierra Art Parlor, learn about sewing, encaustic, leather craft, painting, drawing and more!
- Watch local artist and Learnery instructor Tonja Wilcox show off her skills with a paintbrush in these watercolor demonstrations.
- See how Steve McCready of Limbic Visions crafts his alcohol ink creations.
- See how Rachel Kern of Oli and Baz crafts her desert scenes.
- Learn about the art of pyrography with Joel Smith on Saturday the 8th
- Nikki Thompson of Deconstructed Artichoke Press will demo one-sheet wonders–a book from a single sheet of paper on Saturday!